Nutrition and exercise are not the only things that the human body needs to stay in good health, sleep is also very important. Believe it or not, research has shown that the mattress you sleep on plays a big part in how well you sleep. But with so many mattresses in the market, how do you know which one is the best? We’ve done huge research, tested and reviewed mattresses from different brands to make this list of the best mattresses in India.
We all know the negative effects a lack of sleep can have on our body and mind. A good mattress won’t just provide good sleep and refreshment but it will also improve the health of your spine due to its proper support.
- 1. SleepyCat – Orthopedic Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- 2. Kurl-on Dream Sleep 6-inch Queen Size Spring Mattress
- 3. Wakefit Dual Comfort Mattress – Hard & Soft
- 4. Flo Ergo Gel Memory Foam + Proprietary Responsive Foam Mattress
- 5. Sleepwell Enovation 5-Inch Double Size Foam Mattress
- 6. @Home by Nilkamal Value+ 4-inch Double Size Foam Mattress
- 7. SleepyCat Plus – Orthopedic Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- 8. Coir FIT Health Spa 6-inch Single Size Memory Foam Mattress
- 9. Urban Ladder Dreamlite 8-inch Queen Size Bonnel Spring Mattress with Eurotop
- Top Mattress Brands
- Mattress in India – The Buyers Guide (2019)
1. SleepyCat – Orthopedic Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- Dimensions: 72 x 36 x 6 inches
- Primary Material: Gel-memory foam
- Colour: White
- Warranty: 10 years
- Weight: 8.62 kg
The is SleepyCat mattress is a premium 6-inch orthopedic mattress with 1inch of gel memory foam and a 5-inch durable high-density base foam. It provides support to the back and is very comfortable.
The memory gel is specially designed to distribute body weight evenly and keeps one cool through the night. Its orthopedic nature helps maintain natural spine alignment and relieves pressure off all pressure points that can cause body aches. Millions of tiny gel beads have been incorporated to keep the body cool and relaxed.
The mattress comes with an easily removable zipper cover made of hand-knitted fabric. In our usage, we found the cover comfortable and a joy to use. It is very soft and the tiny holes on top make it breathable.
The mattress offers Zero Partner disturbance wherein the memory foam and the comfort top layer ensures that you can sleep in peace even if your partner tosses and turns as there is no motion transfer.
The 10-year warranty is a solid offering by SleepyCat. It shows the confidence the company has in its product and reassures the customer of the quality on offer. The heat transfer is slightly dodgy and we did feel the mattress retaining some warmth.
This mattress is a very sensible option for consumers in the market looking for a competitively priced and comfortable orthopedic mattress.
- Memory gel helps against partner disturbance
- Zipper cover is comfortable and useful
- Competitively Priced
- Heat dissipation isn’t the best
- The white mattress can get dirty
2. Kurl-on Dream Sleep 6-inch Queen Size Spring Mattress
- Product Dimensions: 72 x 60 x 6 inches
- Primary Material: Spring
- Colour: Multicolour
- Warranty: 5 years
- Weight: 27.2 Kilograms
Kurl-on Dream Sleep is a Bonnel spring mattress with high tensile strength. This gives bounce to the mattress.
To prevent the rupturing of the layers of the mattress, the springs are encased with the Thermo bond felt. This technique maintains the quality of the mattress for many years.
The mattress has a thick PU foam layer that can provide maximum sleeping surface and ensures comfort in bed. This layer holds the form of the mattress and doesn’t let the edges droop.
Dream Sleep is manufactured using Kurlopedic technology. The company has created its own technology in designing all its mattresses.
The specialty of this technology is that the mattress is endowed with anti-dust mite and anti-bedbug properties. This mattress also has anti-microbial properties. This ensures freshness round the year irrespective of seasonal changes.
All these properties make this mattress ideal for children and the elderly. It takes care of issues arising from pest infestations and fungal or microbial infections. Thus, the mattress continues to serve you for a long time and is ideally designed for Indian families.
The mattress is being sold as a medium form factor which means it provides both spinal support and comfort. It has a pillow top soft cover that gives comfort to the joints. The springs give it enough bounce to add support. At 6 inches height, it can be considered ideal for side sleepers and combination sleepers.
The company provides the mattress to you in a ready to use form. The mattress comes pre-assembled so that you don’t have any DIY issues. The company also offers replacement options within one year of the sale, so that any manufacturing defect can be handled.
Dream Sleep is economical and offers a range of benefits, you would like to explore. It is safe for all age groups. So, it should be considered a good buy.
- Reasonably priced
- Bonnel springs in the mattress and pillow top foam layer provides medium support
- Pest and micro-organism resistant
- Spring quality diminishes over time
- Warranty conditions need clarification
3. Wakefit Dual Comfort Mattress – Hard & Soft
- Product Dimensions: 78 x 72 x 5 inches
- Primary Material: Foam
- Colour: White
- Warranty: 3 years
- Weight: 17.5 Kilograms
Wakefit Dual Comfort Mattress is a foam mattress you would like to try if you are looking for a multi-utility mattress of medium comfort.
As the name suggests, this mattress serves dual needs. It has a soft side and a medium soft side. It can be flipped over according to personal preference or as the season dictates. The company suggests that the soft side is comfortable in the summers due to better air circulation.
Firm foam density provides better spinal support. The soft foam has bigger cells to provide a good flow of air keeping the temperature of the mattress cool. This guarantees relaxed rest overnight.
Dual Comfort Mattress is made of two layers of HR foam of different density – 32 density and 40 density. Better foam density takes care of the durability of a mattress.
It has a pillow top cover for a comfortable feel. The material used on top is smooth on the skin. It gives comfort by countering the upward push from the foam beneath it.
It is lightweight and ensures ease in flipping over as well as portability inside the house. As per our review, the foam and top cover are of good quality.
The dimensions given are the dimensions you will get, unlike other manufacturers. Therefore, once you have taken the exact measurements of your bed and placed the order, mattress fit will not be a problem.
It is not a pre-assembled mattress. The assembly fit offered by the company is DIY, since the company has designed easy to assemble mattress that you can arrange and use accordingly.
The company is known for its excellent customer service and will guide you to the right choice as per your body needs.
This mattress improves sleep quality. Most customers report excellent satisfaction with this product.
- It provides both firm support and soft comfort on both sides of the same mattress
- Durable and easy to handle
- Very cost-effective buy
- Sleepers with previous experience of back-pain are advised against buying this product
4. Flo Ergo Gel Memory Foam + Proprietary Responsive Foam Mattress
- Dimensions: 72 x 36 x 6 inches
- Primary Material: Gel-memory foam
- Colour: White
- Warranty: 10 years
- Weight: 12.5 kg
The Flo Ergo mattress focuses on ergonomic support. The proprietary responsive poly foam forms the thick base of the mattress and prevents any part of the body sinking any further than it should. This layer responds directly to pressure and the more pressure put on it is counterbalanced by an equal amount of supporting force. Another gel-infused layer of memory foam helps support the natural curvature of the spine.
The foam is infused with white gel microcapsules that absorb heat from the body, especially when it is warm outside.
The zipper cover provided is comfortable to use, simple to remove and put on, and easy to clean. Flo claims the cover is infused with Aloe Vera Gel.
The gel-infused memory foam layer also ensures that there is Zero Partner Disturbance. The memory foam ensures that when your partner moves about on the bed, the motion is not transmitted through to your side of the mattress and you can sleep undisturbed.
Flo is a new entrant in the Indian market and has surely made its mark with a solid product that is well rounded and is devoid of any major flaws. This mattress would be a sensible buy for anyone looking for a competitively priced mattress with memory foam.
- Competitively Priced
- Good back support
- Zero partner disturbance
- After-sales service can be dodgy
5. Sleepwell Enovation 5-Inch Double Size Foam Mattress
- Product Dimensions: 182.9 x 152.4 x 12.7 cm
- Primary Material: Foam
- Colour: Chocolate Brown
- Warranty: 5 years
- Weight: 39 Kilograms
Most mattresses aim to ensure maximum comfort for a good night’s sleep. But the selling point of the Sleepwell Enovation mattress is that it aims to improve back and spine support.
One great feature of this mattress is how it arrives at your doorstep. While most mattresses arrive packed in a box that is hard to keep, the Sleepwell Enovation mattress comes with its own carry bag that can be used to safely store the mattress when transporting it again.
The bag that the mattress comes in can also be used to store other goods and is made from high-quality materials.
The mattress is a combination of high-quality medium-firm and firm flexi puf layers that ensure comfort as well as support. The entire mattress is covered with a two-way stretch fabric that protects the contents inside and gives the mattress longevity. This also makes the mattress light enough for one person to carry.
Just like other companies, Sleepwell Enovation uses springs too but it is enclosed within two layers of foam, giving it extra support and stability.
The mattress comes fully assembled and roll-packed in its own carry bag. All the customer needs to do is unpack and roll it out onto their beds. Once the mattress is positioned properly, the company recommends a 30-40 minute wait period for the mattress to rest and expand to its original shape.
- Price is reasonable
- Two-layer foam provides comfort and support
- Two-way stretch fabric provides protection
- Warranty period too short for this price range
6. @Home by Nilkamal Value+ 4-inch Double Size Foam Mattress
- Product Dimensions: 198.1 x 121.9 x 10.2 cm
- Primary Material: Evlon/Lux Foam
- Colour: Maroon
- Warranty: 2 Years
- Weight: 20 Kilograms
In India, the brand Nilkamal gained a strong reputation as a manufacturer of chairs and seating furniture. After years in the business and gaining a reputation for being a very reliable furniture brand they started producing mattresses and pillows.
Their first line of mattresses came out in 2014 and they have been improving their designs ever since. These mattresses were designed with regard to the weather conditions in India and the sleeping habits of the Indian population.
The mattress is made up of four layers. The very top layer is a thin layer of quilt which makes it soft to touch and is covered with a strong fabric that prevents it from tearing. The next layer is PU foam which gives it bounce and comfort. The third layer is hard foam which gives the mattress support and sturdiness. The last layer is another layer of PU foam.
One of the best features of this range of mattresses is that it comes with a height and weight chart that will allow the customer to find the perfect mattress firmness for them as this range of mattresses come in four different firmness levels.
This particular mattress does not come with any fancy features and is just their basic standard mattress.
- Price is reasonable
- Four layers of foam provide comfort and support
- No exaggerated claims by the company
- Warranty period too short for this price
- Average Amazon reviews
7. SleepyCat Plus – Orthopedic Gel Memory Foam Mattress
- Product Dimensions: 198.1 x 182.9 x 20.3 cm
- Primary Material: Orthopedic gel memory foam and high-density foam
- Colour: White
- Warranty: 10 years
- Weight: 28 Kilograms
SleepyCat may be a new name in the mattress industry for some people but the company knows what the customers want and they deliver. Their SleepyCat Plus line was introduced in 2018 and the selling point of this range is the 8-inch thickness of the mattress.
The price of this particular product might be a bit too high for some people but the company does offer a 30-nights free trial with a 100% money-back guarantee. This allows the customers to take some time to try out the product before investing their money in it.
It is made from 8 inches of orthopedic memory foam which provides a good balance between comfort and firmness. It consists of two layers – the top is a 2-inch layer of gel memory foam which provides the comfort and the bottom contains 6-inches of high-density foam which provides the support.
The top gel memory foam layer helps distribute the weight equally while keeping cool all night. It also keeps your body in its natural alignment which helps reduce body pain.
The entire thing is enclosed with a smart zipper cover that keeps it safe, clean and provides that premium feel. It is also designed in such a way that if one person on the bed moves around the other does not feel it.
- 30-nights risk-free trial
- Orthopedic gel memory foam
- 10 years warranty
- 86% positive reviews from Amazon customers
- White color gets dirty fast
- Delivery takes time
8. Coir FIT Health Spa 6-inch Single Size Memory Foam Mattress
- Product Dimensions: 182.9 x 76.2 x 15.2 cm
- Primary Material: Memory Foam
- Colour: Off-White
- Warranty: 1 Year
- Weight: 30 Kilograms
Coir FIT has been in the mattress industry for decades and is one of the leading names in the industry. From the very beginning, the company has aimed at excellence not just in product design but also in quality, customer service and customer satisfaction.
Their Health Spa line of mattresses was released in 2018 and as the name suggests, it is aimed more towards supporting and improving the health of the back and spine of the customer.
This mattress is the best in its class with HD Endurance foam. The 6 inches semi-hard back design provides high levels of comfort as well as superior support. The mattresses in this range use medically approved Active Bond materials, which is safe for humans and animals. The material also keeps bed bugs away.
It is enclosed in a Belgian fabric cover which makes it easy to clean and provides protection to the foam. This line of mattresses is perfect for people who are looking for an orthopedic mattress but would also like a high level of comfort and support.
It also comes with no sag technology which only adds to its longevity. The design and fabrics used to keep the mattress cool so that it does not retain any body heat. It has multiple layers which give it a premium feel.
- Price is exceptionally budget-friendly
- The multilayer design provides superior comfort and support
- Orthopedic benefits
- The warranty period is not justified for this price
- No Amazon reviews for this product
9. Urban Ladder Dreamlite 8-inch Queen Size Bonnel Spring Mattress with Eurotop
- Product Dimensions: 78 x 60 x 9 inches
- Primary Material: Bonnel spring and Foam
- Colour: White
- Warranty: 5 years’ prorated warranty
- Weight: 32.3 Kg
The Urban Ladder Dreamlite Mattress is a soft form spring mattress. It is made primarily of Bonnel springs topped by high-quality foam.
Bonnel springs in Dreamlite Mattresses use the innerspring technology. These springs are made of high carbon, anti-corrosive material. This makes the mattress last longer and also ensures spine support.
The quilted foam on top makes this mattress ideal for comfortable rest. The top foam takes care of air circulation. It also helps make the bed less bouncy. This way, there is no motion transfer and movement on one side of the bed does not cause too much disturbance on the other side.
The knitted fabric covering the mattress is soft on the skin and offers added luxury. It helps with temperature control to some extent, though if you are sensitive to heat, a cotton mattress cover is recommended.
The combination of foam encased reinforced spring guarantees edge support. The mattress holds shape without sagging and there is minimal edge roll-off.
This is a pre-assembled mattress with no DIY or installation hassles. It is light considering the thickness it offers. Delivery and other services are punctual and prompt.
Dreamlite is reasonably priced and offers superior relaxation. Our review has brought to focus on high customer satisfaction with this product.
- Economical product and great service
- Medium-soft and quite comfortable
- Durable and low maintenance
- Not advisable for neck and back pain
Top Mattress Brands
When thinking about buying a good mattress there are many things you need to keep in mind. Comfort, support and the longevity of the mattress are some of the main criteria to consider.
In today’s Indian consumer market space there are many companies that can offer you all of the above at various different price points. When it comes to the price of a mattress, you can get one for INR 1,000/- to 10,000/-.
And yes, the price does matter. So, investing in a good mattress is the equivalent of investing in your health. Having said that, how do you know which brand to choose? Here we have listed some of the best mattress brands in the market at present.
SleepyCat was founded by Mr. Kabir Siddiq in 2017 in Kolkata. It claims to be India’s first out-of-the-box mattress. The company claims that the mattresses come with automated compression technology which allows it to be compressed into easily transportable boxes.
The mattresses are made of specialized gel memory foam and come with a 10-year warranty. It also has a 30-nights free trial along with overnight deliveries to cities like Bangalore and Mumbai. According to the company, the mattress will be shipped from the factory to the customer’s doorstep free of cost in a box, thus, cutting out the cost of middlemen.
The company was started in 1962 under the name ‘Karnataka Consumer Products Ltd’. It was in December 1995 that the company changed its name to Kurlon Limited. Today, it is one of the biggest names in the mattress industry. They have 44 sales offices in the Indian sub-continent and export their products to the UK, U.A.E, Europe, Africa, Qatar, etc.
Now, they have a wide range of mattresses including foam, spring, coir and even therapeutic. Being in the mattress industry for so many years the company knows what the public wants and is set out to deliver premium quality products, a wide range of prices and impressive customer service.
This company was founded by Chaitanya Ramalingegowda in 2016 and has slowly been making a name for itself in India. Their motto is the best quality mattresses at affordable prices. They are currently offering different variants of mattresses at different price points for their customers.
They are among the few companies that send the mattress from the factory to your door themselves so that there are no middlemen. This allows them to keep their prices down by around 40% lower than others. They also include a 100-day free trial during which if the customer is unsatisfied with the product they can return it for a full refund.
4. Flo Mattress
The company offers their mattresses at lower prices than their competitors as they themselves deliver the mattress from the factory to your doorstep in a neat box and offers a 100-nights free trial so that you have ample time to make up your mind.
The company uses vacuum-pack technology to shrink the mattress to a third of its original size which allows for easier and faster transportation. They specialize in memory foam mattress while constantly evolving and improving the technology.
They provide a 10-year warranty with all their mattresses and the mattresses are lighter than their competitors while being able to last longer.
The company was founded by Radhey Shyam Gupta and has been in the industry for over 30 years. With a customer base of over 1 million the company has made a good name for themselves in the industry.
CoirFit crafts all their mattresses from the best quality foam which is also clinically tested to make sure it is completely safe for families.
CoirFit also uses the best luxury fabrics that are engineered into the mattresses to give it that premium feels and for the customer to get their money’s worth from each mattress.
A company that needs no introduction in the Indian mattress industry is Sleepwell. The company has 12 plants in India and 5 in Australia. They have been the top producers of P.U. foam in the Asia Pacific region for years now.
When it comes to mattress companies in India, there are few that are as trusted by the public as Sleepwell. The company provides different variants of mattresses at different price points for the public to choose from.
The main selling point is the premium quality that all the mattresses have and the high standards they maintain with their production.
Mattress in India – The Buyers Guide (2019)
Getting a new mattress can very easily become a mind-boggling task. There are too many variables to keep track of. Deciding on the material, the price, the type, the quality can get overwhelming very quickly. Add to this the variety of brands available in the market, and this becomes a truly herculean task requiring in-depth research on every single variable that can influence your choice.
This guide is a comprehensive solution to all questions you might have in mind on how to go about buying a new mattress.
1. When should you look to buy a new mattress?
The lifespan of a mattress is affected by numerous variables. Latex and airbed mattresses are more durable than regular foam-based ones. Your sleep habits can also affect lifespan. A mattress suffering daily use and that too on the same side may be susceptible to greater wear and tear than one that is used less frequently.
The general understanding is that a mattress should be replaced once it is older than seven years, irrespective of warranty periods. Other signs to look out for include significant sagging of the mattress and if you wake up with aches and pains. These are all signs that you need a new mattress.
2. How to select a mattress?
Before you opt for a mattress, you must keep two things in mind:
2.1 What type of sleeper you are?
The answer to this depends on a few variables
Sleeping Positions: Most people have a specific favorite position they like to sleep in. It is either on their side, their back, their stomach, or a combination of all.
People who sleep on their stomach or their back prefer a firm mattress that doesn’t conform a lot whereas side sleepers find softer mattresses more suited to their likings.
- Side Sleepers: People who prefer sleeping on their sides prefer a soft mattress. This helps align the spine and pelvis and relieves pressure from the neck.
- Stomach/Back Sleepers: The middle portion of your body is usually the heaviest. It is also the part which requires essential pressure relief at night. Thus a harder and more supportive mattress should suffice for people who sleep on their stomachs and their backs. This provides ample support and aligns the pelvis by a little conforming.
- Pregnant Women: Pregnant women usually sleep on their side. This improves blood circulation and keeps the baby healthy. They should avoid sleeping on their back and on their stomach as this puts excessive pressure on their spine and may cause complications. Pregnant women should opt for moderately firm mattresses which do not sag. This keeps the spine aligned and relieves sufficient pressure.
- Kids: Children grow quickly and their mattress must be able to support their bodies throughout this growth phase. Moderately firm mattresses provide ample support and conform according to the weight applied and are therefore the preferred choice for growing children.
- Couples: Sharing your mattress can be a problem. If your partner is fidgety at night, this might lead to motion transfer through the mattress which will disturb your sleep. Couples should, therefore, opt for mattresses with low motion transfer. Size is another concern and a couple must keep their needs in mind while buying a mattress. A larger bed allows two people to sleep comfortably.
- Weight: Heavier individuals tend to sink deeper into their mattresses and therefore might prefer firm mattresses that don’t conform too much. They provide adequate support and do not sag under the weight of the user. Lighter individuals may prefer softer mattresses. Weight is an important thing you might like to think about when deciding on the make of your mattress.
- Sleep temperatures: If temperature regulation in the bedroom is of the essence, one must consider mattress materials separately. Soft, conforming mattresses tend to trap heat and do not allow as much airflow around your body as hard foam mattresses.
2.2 The type, material, and quality of mattresses available
Material: 2.2.1 Foam: It can be either pure polyfoam or in a combination of supportive foam with memory foam.
These mattresses are particularly made entirely from foam. The supportive hard-core is usually made out of very dense polyfoam with one or more layers of softer memory foam.
- Foam Types: Softer memory foam is supportive and helps with spinal alignment. It also alleviates certain pressure points.
- Foam Density: The foam density determines the support you get for your weight. Low-density foams have a lower life span and sag with time while denser foams are more durable and last longer.
- Indentation Load Deflection (ILD): ILD is the amount of weight required to compress the surface of the mattress by 10 cm. The higher the ILD, the firmer the mattress. Most mattresses have an ILD from 8 to 21.
- Lifespan: 7 years
- Inexpensive and easily available.
- Good pressure relief abilities
- Isolates motion well
- High odor potential
- May get warm and uncomfortable for some
- May sag early
2.2.2 Latex: Latex is extracted from rubber trees and can also be manufactured synthetically. Latex mattresses feature a minimum of one latex layer in the comfort layer. The supportive hardcore may be either latex or high-density polyfoam like in the foam mattresses.
- Processing techniques: Latex used in mattresses are produced through two distinct methods. The Dunlop method allows the settlement of more sediment at the bottom and a foamier layer at the top. These mattresses are bottom-heavy and are used as support cores in mattresses. On the other hand, the Talalay process results in a uniform mixture of lightweight foam. This is used on the topmost comfort layer.
- Indentation load deflection (ILD): The ILD scale is rather different for latex, and unlike foam which ranges from 8 to 21, latex can range from 16 to 39 giving it you a wider range of firmness to select from.
- Lifespan: 8.5 years
- Longer lifespan than most other types of mattresses
- Isolates motion well
- Much cooler compared to foam
- Comparatively expensive
- Has a high off-gassing potential
- Edge support is usually weak.
2.2.3 Innerspring mattresses: Besides a layer or more of foam, innerspring mattresses have special steel coils placed within them. The coil type, the number of coils included, and their pitch and gauge of the coils are the variables you need to keep in mind while looking for an innerspring mattress.
- Coil types:
Innerspring mattresses use four types of coils.
- Bonnell coils: The cheapest of innerspring mattresses, these are hourglass-shaped.
- Offset coils: Also hourglass-shaped, but with a special straightened bottom that provides greater support. These are the most durable variety of coils and are found in expensive mattresses.
- Continuous Wire coils: Somewhat like offset coils, these coils are arranged in rows joined side-by-side. They are rather long-lasting but fair at conforming as well as other variants of inner springs.
- Pocketed Coils: This type of coil is fabric-wrapped. Therefore, they are better at minimizing both noise and motion transfer.
- Coil gauge: This is a measure of the thickness of the coils used in the mattress. The scale is used from 12 (thickest) to 18 (thinnest). While Bonnell wires and continuous wire coils have a wide range of thickness, Pocketed coils are almost always the thickest due to their fabric covering while offset coils are thinnest.
- Pitch: This is a measure of the angle of the coils to the mattress top. This helps determine the firmness of the mattress.
- Coil count: Believed to be a marker of comfort and durability, coil counts within the range of 600 to 1000 provide the highest comfort levels. Any more than a 1000 coils don’t have any effect on the longevity, conformity, comfort, or support the mattress provides.
- Lifespan: 5.5 years.
- Easily available and cheap
- Supportive at the edges
- Cooler and has good airflow
- Poor durability
- Low conforming
- Can be very noisy
2.2.4 Hybrids: Hybrids are technically made using 2 inches of memory foam or latex to make a comfort layer and a supporting core of the pocketed coil.
- Density: The density of the polyfoam or latex used in the topmost supporting layer is an important factor to consider as it affects how much the mattress sinks under your weight and the level of support it provides.
- Indentation load deflection (ILD): ILD scales are different for both foam and latex, and the make of the hybrid must be kept in mind
- Gauge: Gauge of coils on hybrid mattresses differs from model to model, but most good quality pocketed coils are very thin.
- Lifespan: 6 years
- Great pressure relief
- Isolates motion well
- Very good edge support
- High heat retention
- Can be noisy
2.2.5 Airbed Mattresses: Airbeds are unique as they do not have any specific comfort layers. The core consists of two or more separate inflatable compartments to adjust firmness.
- Controls: While most modern airbeds come with remote-controlled setups, some older or cheaper models have manual inflation systems.
- Trench: The separation between the multiple air compartments may create trenches that bisect the centre of the bed. Choose a model that has minimal trenches.
- Lifespan: 8 years
- Can offer close conforming
- Versatile – Suits all sleep positions and body types
- Costlier than other types
- No airflow. It can get too hot.
- Repairs can be very costly
- Can be noisy
Size of the mattress is an essential consideration when buying a mattress that is best suited to you. The following table should make it easier for you to understand what the different sizes of mattresses imply and which one of them is perfect for you.
|Size||Dimensions (Inches)||Suited for|
|Twin||38” x 75”||1 person|
|Double||54” x 75”||2 adults|
|Queen Size||60” x 80”||2 adults|
|King Size||76” x 80”||2 adults with a child|
The optimum firmness level is different for everyone. This is dependent on sleep position and weight of the person sleeping. People who tend to sleep on their sides prefer a soft mattress that conforms to their body curvature and provides good support while people who sleep straighter on their back or on their stomachs find firmer mattresses that keep their spine and pelvis aligned.
Speaking of weight, individuals who are lighter and weigh below 65 kg require softer mattresses that can provide more conforming and support while individuals on the heavier side (over a 100 kg) will prefer a firmer mattress to prevent excessive sagging and sinkage.
The firmness level is understood by a system of firmness ratings that help one understand the specific characteristics of a mattress. The following table will help you understand the firmness scale with ease.
|Scale/Rating||Level of Firmness||Characteristics|
|1||Extra Soft||The surface will sink easily and very deeply without much weight. It will conform closely.|
|2-3||Soft||There is a significant sinking of the mattress surface|
|4||Medium Soft||The mattress conforms closely and sinks a little|
|5||Medium||Mattress surface does not sink much|
|6||Medium Firm||Very little sagging of the surface and a moderate amount of conforming|
|7-8||Firm||The mattress surface remains flat with little to no sinking and minimal evidence of conforming|
|9-10||Extra Firm||The surface does not sink at all and there is no conforming either.|
Now that we have gone over the firmness ratings it will be comparatively simpler to understand what level of firmness is perfect for users of a particular weight range. The following table collates the two data sets and helps you find the optimum level of firmness given a particular user weight range.
|Weight Group||Weight Range||Preference||Ideal Firmness Rating|
|Light||Below 65 kg||Prefer soft comfort layers that conform closely||Soft (2-3) to Medium (5)|
|Average||65 kg to 100 kg||The average group prefers a balance of soft comfort padding and firm support||Medium Soft (4) to Medium Firm (6)|
|Heavy||Over 65 kg||Prefer harder firm beds with low levels of conforming||Medium Firm (7) to Extra Firm (9)|
The preference range for mattress thickness is deeply tied to what level of firmness you prefer as a consumer. On average, most mattresses are around 7 to 8 inches in height, although across all market segments mattress thickness ranges from below 5 inches to more than 15 inches. Lighter individuals seeking softer beds with greater conforming may prefer thicker mattresses while heavier customers would feel more comfortable with shorter, firmer, harder mattresses with no conforming.
3. Mattress Performance Factors
The quality of a mattress and the comfort it provides are determined by a few performance factors. By using a wide variety of factors we can comprehensively understand the pros and cons of any product and build a just assessment of its qualities.
These factors include:
Durability, to put it, allows us to understand how long a mattress will continue to give optimum comfort and support during daily use. On average, a mattress lasts for around seven years before facing enough deterioration to warrant replacement.
- Motion Isolation
If more than one person is sharing the mattress, any movement at night can cause motion transfer that is felt across the mattress. This can disrupt sleep whenever someone moves about or shifts sleeping positions. Specialized mattresses with soft and adaptive comfort layers on top of the mattress minimize motion transfer. This enables sounder sleep with fewer disruptions.
Softer mattresses conform easily, staying close to the body and curving along the spine, providing ample support during sleep. Harder mattresses with denser cores provide more support but do not conform as easily. The topmost layer of a mattress determines how far and how easily a mattress conforms. Mattresses with thick memory foam layers or those made with latex offer the best levels of conforming.
- Temperature Neutrality
Mattresses with denser cores tend to absorb and trap more heat. This leads to a warmer sleeping experience, which may disrupt sleep for some. Lighter memory foams are better when it comes to temperature neutrality.
All mattresses release harmless gaseous particles when brand new. This is accompanied by an unpleasant odor in foam and latex mattresses. Usually, this smell is dissipated within a few days of use, but some mattresses can produce persistent odors.
- Edge Support
Most models have problems with sagging and sinkage at the edges where most people sit, or individuals apply force when they get up from the bed. Mattresses with good edge support show little to no shrinkage at the edges.
Some mattresses have a tendency to make noises when an individual moves about on top. This may disrupt the sleep of that individual or those who are sharing the mattress. A noise-free experience is essential for sound sleep.
The support a mattress provides generally refers to how the flat and even upwards surface of a mattress helps to align the spine and the pelvis without sagging too much underneath the weight of heavier areas of the body.
4. Things to Consider when Buying
The wide variety of factors we have discussed above will help you to finalize on a particular product. Still, manufacturers and sellers have a range of policies, and it is essential to inquire or find out about the following:
4.1 Sleep Trials
- What is a sleep trial?
Sleep trials are a small tie in periods which give the consumer a chance to test the mattress for a particular period and return the product if its performance isn’t satisfactory.
- How long are sleep trials?
Usually, trial periods last for a period of ninety days from the date of purchase, but some manufacturers offer sleep trials ranging from 30 to 365 days.
- Is returning a mattress free of cost?
Returns are usually free, but in some cases, certain customers may be charged for the delivery and handling costs of the returned mattress
- Are returned mattresses sold on the open market?
Rarely. Returned mattresses do not go back to stores. They are usually recycled into newer mattresses or are given away to charities.
- How long are mattress warranties?
Nowadays, most mattresses come with a specified warranty period. This period can stretch up to 10 years, although there are brands that offer coverage only up to a year or two after the purchase.
- What does this warranty cover?
Mattress warranties are a protection against any manufacturing defect in the product. This may include any indentation, sagging, or issues with the mattress layers and the covers. Warranties do not cover regular everyday wear and tear or any physical damage.
- What does a ‘limited warranty’ specify?
Most mattress brands couple their products with limited warranties. This means that warranty coverage extends only to the original owner who has purchased the product directly from the manufacturer or a registered and authorised outlet. Any individual who procures the mattress from an original owner or from a non-authorised retailer does not get any coverage.
5. Buying Options
Most common buying outlets for regular consumers looking for a mattress in today’s market would be online retail and offline stores. Here we discuss the Pros and Cons of both.
5.1 Online Purchase
- Great discounts/ Lower Prices
- Straightforward ordering
- Extended sleep trials and warranty coverage
- Cannot test the mattress before purchase
- Delivery charges
- Long delivery times
5.2 Offline Purchase
- You can test the mattress before buying
- Sales staff can guide you
- Prices can be negotiated
- Dearer than online portals
- Not as convenient
- Return policies are difficult
6. Mattress Maintenance
The average mattress has a lifespan of about 7 years. This is equivalent to over 2400 nights of use. Over this period your mattress may collect dust, mites, and stains. The mattress can also absorb your sweat and any spillages. Besides, the growth of mould and the presence of allergens may make it harmful for you. Hence proper cleaning of the mattress is essential.
Regular washing of bedsheets and a dusting of the mattress can restrict such harmful occurrences to a minimum.
6.1 Cleaning Options
- Vacuum cleaning: Vacuuming the mattress is a very effective way to clean mattresses. The high suction capacity can easily draw our dust and mites from the mattress.
- Removing odors through vacuum cleaning: The mattress cover often absorbs sweat and other bodily smells and can start giving off offensive odors. A baking soda scrub is an effective solution to this problem. Use a brush to scrub the baking soda into the fabric. Within half an hour, the soda will bind with the odor-causing oils and another round of vacuuming the mattress will help treat the mattress of all offensive odors.
- Stain removal: Spillages can stain the mattress easily. Stains caused due to absorption of bodily fluids such as sweat and urine can be difficult to remove. They must be tackled as soon as possible otherwise they are absorbed by the mattress and may become impossible to remove.
- How to remove blood stains? Mattress stains need to be scraped clean. Hydrogen peroxide mixed with salt should be applied to the stain. When this mixture is absorbed, scrape the stain clean.
- How to remove urine stains? Children can urinate in bed. This might frequently happen overnight. Urine stains are especially difficult if they dry out. The easiest way to clean your mattress is to mix baking soda with soap and hydrogen peroxide. Scrubbing the stain with this mixture can help clean the mattress.
- Vomit stains: Vomit stains can give off an offensive smell and are therefore treated differently. Use ammonia to wipe the area clean. Do not use too much or the mattress will absorb ammonia. After you have wiped the stain using ammonia, apply baking soda to the stain so the ammonia odor can be removed. Use a vacuum cleaner once the mattress has dried up.
7. Mattress Myths
- Best mattresses suit all use cases:
An absolute falsehood; no mattress can be suitable for all individuals. The sheer number of variables makes this impossible. Factors include a reference for firmness, sleeping position, weight, and the subjective criterion for mattress feel. Do not look for a universal gold standard of mattress. Just pick up the one that suits you best.
- Store feel should be enough to choose:
A mattress may feel very different after a month of daily use. Therefore testing or lying down on store mattresses is not a good measure. Pick a mattress with a sleep trial and check what is best for you.
- Coil Count is an all-important metric:
Although usually higher coil counts mean greater comfort, you must evaluate the other variables, including the materials used, the thickness, etc.
- Gel-based or Gel infused foams are cooler:
While gel-infused foams do claim to have slightly lower sleep temperatures, overall on average, they have a negligible effect on the temperature of the mattress you sleep on.
- Lumbar Support helps against back pain:
In the world of marketing, “lumbar support” is the new catchphrase. While lumbar support may help some, its use isn’t proven to help universally against back pain and may worsen the case for some users.
- Longer warranty implies longer lifespan:
Regardless of the warranty period manufacturers are offering you, the average lifespan of a mattress rarely exceeds 7 to 8 years after which they must be replaced.
- Latex Mattresses don’t need replacement:
While latex mattresses are the most resilient type and have an average lifespan of 8 and a half years, they are still exposed to the same daily system of usage and resultant wear and tear like all other mattresses and do in fact deteriorate after a given period.
- Expensive mattresses are always better:
Manufacturers feed this myth to mark up their products and milk consumers. Keep your mind free from such biases and look for the mattresses that suit you and your budget.
8. Special Mattresses
Special mattresses can either be those made of unique materials or those which are meant for unique purposes.
- Organic Mattresses:
While it is impossible to find a completely organic mattress, some greener options are available in the market made from 60% to 90% organic material. You may choose a mattress with green certification, but they are usually more expensive and have a smaller number of options available.
- Smart Mattresses:
Connectivity through smartphone applications and specially designed chips embedded within these mattresses allow for sleep tracking technology making smart mattresses very useful. The monitor your sleep and adjust accordingly to offer greater comfort. Most manufacturers of smart mattresses also provide long sleep trials.
- Air Mattresses:
Similar sounding but radically different from airbed mattresses, air mattresses are temporary sleeping solutions that are mostly used for camping outdoors.
- Flippable Mattresses:
Most modern mattresses are one-sided with a specified memory comfort foam on the top. Flippable mattresses provide memory foam on either side, allowing increased versatility and a longer lifespan. Both sides can also have different levels of firmness and may suit users with variable needs.
- Hypoallergenic Mattresses:
Mattresses are used for 7-8 years at a stretch. The static position of a mattress in your room makes it susceptible to mites. Mattresses can easily become home to dust mites due to the ease with which dust can settle and be absorbed deep inside them. This can be troublesome for asthmatic consumers whose conditions may worsen upon the use of such a dust-ridden mattress.
Special hypoallergenic mattresses have a surface coating that protects against the settling of dust mites. These mattresses are also resistant to a variety of mold. Besides being beneficial for asthmatic users, these mattresses, by virtue of their special surface coating, have a longer lifespan.
- Pillow-top Mattresses:
Certain mattresses are specially designed to include a pillow-like bump at one end of the mattress to remove the need for a separate pillow. An additional surface layer that cushions the mattress and acts as a pillow helps this mattress achieve its form
- Mattresses with Reinforced edges:
Maximum stress is placed on the edges of mattresses as people get on and off the mattress from the edge. This can result in quick deterioration and extra sagging. Mattresses with reinforced edges seek to avoid such deterioration. They have extra cushioning at the edges to prevent wear and tear and reduce sagging.
It is quite difficult to quantify comfort. After all, there is no scientific way to measure it. But after extensive use by our team, we came to the unanimous decision that the Flo Ergo Gel Memory Foam + Proprietary Responsive Foam Mattress is the best buy.
Why did we choose it as #1? It is because of the unmatched lumbar support that is provided. All of them were good but Flo Ergo was excellent and none woke up with even a slightly stiff back. It is also important to note that the mattress absorbs body heat with gel capsules providing lots of coolness.
Our second choice would be the Kurl-on Dream for no reason other than the fact that it is a traditional spring mattress and really comfortable. Being made of metal it is also quite heavy and adds to the solidity of the bed.