Be it rich smoothies, or delicious, freshly made masalas, Food Processors are a must for every household. Gone are the days of food processors that do one thing, and one thing only- that is, grind. These days, your food processor, is a monster machine, with a range of different functions and uses, like kneading dough, blending thick smoothies, and extracting juices from fruits.
If you have trouble with choosing the right food processor for you, read on, as we break down all the essentials and the science behind your friendly food processor, to help you make the right choice!
- 11 Best Food Processors in India in 2020
- 1. Inalsa Food Processor Fiesta 650-Watt
- 2. Inalsa Maxie Premia 800-Watt Food Processor with 3 Jars (Grey PU Spray Painted)
- 3. Philips Daily Collection HR7629/90 650-Watt Mini Food Processor (Black)
- 4. Inalsa Food Processor Wonder Maxie Plus V2 700- Watt
- 5. Preethi Zodiac MG218 750-watt Mixer Grinder
- 6. Bajaj Food Factory FX 11 600-Watt Food Processor
- 7. Inalsa Food Processor INOX 1000-Watt with Blender Jar
- 8. Kenstar Karishma Royal 600-Watt Multi-Processor (White)
- 9. Prestige All Rounder 600 Watts Food Processor (White)
- 10. Usha Food Processor (2663) 600-Watt with 3 Jars (White)
- 11. Maharaja Whiteline Fiesta FP-103 600-Watt Food Processor
- Best Food Processor Brands in India (2020)
- Things to Consider when Buying a Food Processor
- Guide To Choosing The Best Food Processor in India
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Food Processors
- 1. Can hot ingredients be processed in a food processor?
- 2. Can a food processor be cleaned in a dishwasher?
- 3. Is a food processor useful for Indian cooking?
- 4. Why would I need a food processor to knead chapati dough, when I can do it with a knife blade or by hand?
- 5. Can a baker make use of a food processor?
- 6. Can coconut be grated in a food processor?
- 7. Can meat be minced in a food processor?
- 8. Is a food processor safe to use?
- 9. Does an Indian home need a food processor, or is a regular Mixie enough?
11 Best Food Processors in India in 2020
|Inalsa Food Processor|
|Inalsa Maxie Premia 800-Watt|
|Philips Daily HR7629/90|
|Inalsa Maxie Plus V2|
|Preethi Zodiac MG218|
|Bajaj Food Factory|
|Inalsa Food Processor INOX|
|Kenstar Karishma Royal|
|Prestige All Rounder|
|Usha Food Processor|
1. Inalsa Food Processor Fiesta 650-Watt
- 650 Watt Motor
- 1.5L blender jar
- 1L stainless steel jar
- Extremely quiet
- Has several attachments
- Warranty of 2 years on motor, five years on Product
This Inalsa model is perfect for all needs. Grinding, chopping, blending, this machine is equipped to do all kitchen functions. It does not just dice food, but cuts them perfectly so that you can have a dish that looks, and tastes delicious.
This food processor is equipped with a 650-watt motor that is made of pure copper that powers your processor to perfection. The blender jar is made of 1.5 L BPA free polycarbonate, and 1 L stainless steel. This ensures durability and longevity.
With a capacity of 1 Litre, this food processor can fix meals for your entire family with ease. The feeder tube is also wide enough to fit an entire block of cheese for easy processing- this saves prep time and cuts down on your work.
The food processor is also super quiet. The sounds emanating from a food processor has been many people’s alarm clocks, but no more do you have to endure that!
The food processor also allows you to mix and whisk your baking ingredients, so if you are a baker, this machine is for you!
- Saves energy, as the motor is extremely powerful
- It emits around 80-90 decibels of sound, which makes it very quiet
- Guarantee of 2 years on product, and 5 years on the motor
- Carrot juices and beetroot juice can be a tad difficult to make
- There have been some complaints about the plastic being flimsy
2. Inalsa Maxie Premia 800-Watt Food Processor with 3 Jars (Grey PU Spray Painted)
- 800 Watt Motor
- Warranty of 2 years on motor and 5 years on product
- Has attachments including juicer and centrifuge
- Has egg whisker attachment
- Has a DVD demo
- Provides stainless steel jars
A food processor that can run for 30 minutes straight. Isn’t that a dream? This Indian food processor packed with a monster of a motor from Inalsa can do just that. Your heavy-duty blending cannot dent the performance of this processor, so bring the nut butter on!
This is one of the most wanted products from the brand and is a very popular model in the Indian food processor market. It comes with four discs, an egg whisker, a chopper, an atta kneader. It also contains a dry grinding jar and a separate chutney jar. This covers the whole blanket of Indian cooking needs.
The centrifugal and citrus juicer allows you to enjoy freshly made juices instantaneously. The DVD that comes along with the food processor is sure to dispel all your doubts regarding the product.
Inalsa has also delivered on the aesthetics side, with grey spray painted exteriors to plastic and stainless steel jars. In short, this product is a worthy investment, which you can surely buy.
- An excellent motor that is strong enough for any function
- Warranty of 5 years on the product and 2 years on the motor
- Has good after-sales support
- The looks could have been more sophisticated
- There are some reports of flimsy plastic
3. Philips Daily Collection HR7629/90 650-Watt Mini Food Processor (Black)
- 650 Watt Motor
- Priced under 5000 INR
- Stainless steel blades
- Bowl capacity- 1.5 Litre
- Has two-speed settings
- Has Power chop technology
This is undoubtedly one of the best food processors in the under 5000 segment in India with a 650 Watt motor, and extremely attractive exterior of a glossy metallic body.
This food processor has an innovative power chop technology that makes the chopping superior and precise.
All the blades are made out of stainless steel. This makes the product extremely sturdy, and also ensures that the food processor functions perfectly. It also comes with an emulsifying tool for cream and egg whites.
Philips’s food processor offers two speeds, and a pulse bowl with a capacity of 1.5 L. This is a huge capacity that will suit the needs of a family.
This food processor also has a knife holder, and the body is non-slip. With such attractive features, it comes as a surprise that this food processor is also very affordable! This is one of the cheapest products available in the Indian food processor market.
- Beautifully designed exteriors
- Comes with great additional features
- Good capacity fit for family use
- One year warranty
- The motor is only 650 Watts, which is not as good as products
4. Inalsa Food Processor Wonder Maxie Plus V2 700- Watt
- Motor of 700 Watt
- Capacity of 1.5 Lite in Blender Jar
- 1 Litre Dry grinding jar and 400 ML chutney jar
- Does not emit much sound
- Saves electricity
- Has Wide feeder tube
The cult favourite of the Indian food processor Industry, this Wonder Maxie sure does deliver.
This is a one and done machine. From grinding to blending to mixing, this one food processor takes care of all your needs, reducing your workload by a lot. A worthy investment, for sure!
If you are a baker, then Wonder Maxie has your back. It can beat eggs, and mix cake batter, making life easier for you.
The jars are made of high-quality steel. This lends itself for powerful performance, as plastic jars tend to be quite flimsy, and there is a danger of breakage with them. Wonder Maxie offers you a 1.5 L BPA free polycarbonate Blender Jar, a 1 L Dry grinding jar, and a 400 ML chutney jar.
This model also has a wide feeder tube. You can fit even a block of cheese into it! The capacity makes it suitable for large batches of food, or a family.
The attachments are versatile and can be swapped with one another to meet your varied needs. Unlike most food processors, this model is quiet, which lets you cook peacefully.
With attachments like coarse slicer and shredder, French fry disc, and processing bowl, this Inalsa model ticks all the boxes!
- Value for money, considering the price
- Has a good motor to power the heavy load
- Saves electricity
- As Inalsa does not have a presence all over India after-sales support might be difficult
- Some feel that the plastic is of bad quality and might break
5. Preethi Zodiac MG218 750-watt Mixer Grinder
- Motor of 750 Watt
- Has 3-in-1 juicer jar
- Performs functions very quickly in under a minute
- Has centrifuge and citrus juicer
- Jar can perform 7 functions
- Warranty of 5 years on product
Preethi is hailed as India’s number one Mixer Grinder brand, and not without reasons. This is a darling brand of many Indian households, who have used this for years.
Zodiac delivers on many counts. It kneads atta in just 1 minute, making your rotis come out quicker. It chops in 2 pulses. Food can be grated and sliced in mere seconds. In short, Zodiac saves you a lot of time in the kitchen!
Zodiac comes with a 3-in-1 juicer jar. It has a centrifugal and a citrus juicer for homemade deliciousness. It also has a feature called superior extraction, for coconut and tamarind extraction. This is a mixer that knows the pulse of Indian cooking, and has features customised for our needs!
The motor is a 750 Watt Vega W5 motor. With such a powerful motor, turmeric can be ground in just 2 minutes! The machine also offers 3-speed controls, giving you free rein with your food.
The jar is termed a “master chef jar,” and can perform seven functions, including kneading, chopping and meat mincing.
- Warranty of 5 years on the product
- The jar is multitasking, performing various functions
- Has a great motor
- Some reports have arisen about the noise levels
- Some customers have complained about a burning odor
6. Bajaj Food Factory FX 11 600-Watt Food Processor
- Motor of 600 Watt
- Has great safety features
- Jar capacity of 1.5 Litre
- Dry grinding jar of 1 Litre and chutney jar of 0.3 Litre.
- Has three-speed function
- Warranty of 2 years on motor and 5 years on product
Bajaj products are always trustworthy and reliable. This food processor is no different. With a heavy emphasis on sturdiness and safety, Bajaj has developed this standard food processor.
The safety features are exceptional, with an inbuilt locking system that does not budge. The food processor will not turn on until you secure the lock perfectly.
The jar Is 1.5L, made of unbreakable polycarbonate. It has a stainless steel blade. This powerful combo does its job perfectly, without any faults.
Additionally, you also get a 1 Litre grinding jar, and a 0.3 Litre stainless steel chutney jar.
What sets this food processor apart from others, is that it provides stainless steel blades for all functions- grinding, cutting, kneading, shredding, and French fry blade. Stainless steel is always better than plastic and ensures longevity.
You also get a spatula, for cleaning and scraping the edges. With the three-speed function, you can rest assured that this food processor serves all your needs.
- Excellent safety system
- Available for a low price
- Great warranty of 2 years on motor and 3 years on product
- The motor is not that powerful, at 600 Watts. Other models have a better motor
- The product is not aesthetically pleasing
7. Inalsa Food Processor INOX 1000-Watt with Blender Jar
- Motor of 1000 Watts.
- Jar capacity of 1.5 Litre
- 1 Litre Dry grinding jar and 400 ML chutney jar
- Interchangeable attachments
- Bowl capacity of 2.4 Litre
- Warranty of 2 years on motor and 5 years on product
Here, we have a powerhouse food processor. With an incredible 1000 Watt Motor, Inalsa has equipped this food processor for all the heavy-duty cooking you might have to do.
The jars are multipurpose. A 1.5 L polycarbonate jar, a 1 Litre Dry grinding jar, and a 400 ML chutney jar is what you get with the processor, and all have been made with good quality materials.
Inalsa provides attachments for every function- chopping, grinding, kneading, shredding, mincing- the list goes on! All attachments can be swapped with one another, which makes the food processor customisable.
The main bowl has a capacity of 2.4 Litre. This is sufficient even for large batches of cooking, or for a large family. So you need not fret about having to cook in smaller batches.
The feeder tube has been widened, to facilitate lesser prep time. There are 3-speed settings, along with a pulse button, which ensures that you can cook any dish you want to, without worrying about the inabilities of the machine.
Inalsa provides a 2 years warranty on the motor and a 5-year warranty on the product. They also provide a demo DVD for you to understand the nuances of the functioning of the food processor.
- Has an excellent motor, which allows you to cook peacefully without worrying about damage
- Has a great warranty period
- This is a multipurpose food processor, capable of many different functions
- Quite a heavy appliance, and hence, cannot be moved frequently
- Cost is on the higher side
8. Kenstar Karishma Royal 600-Watt Multi-Processor (White)
- Motor of 600 Watt
- Bowl capacity of 1.25 Litre
- Has 13 attachments
- Priced under 5000 INR
- Provides demo DVD
- Performs several functions
This is an underrated food processor in the Indian market. The star of the refrigerator world, this is a homegrown brand that forayed into the food processor market in India, and this product does not disappoint!
The bowl has a capacity of 1.25 L and is made of polycarbonate. It comes with an astounding 13 attachments – to carry out all your kitchen needs- from chopping to slicing, from mincing to blending and scraping. You can call this a superstar!
The motor is where it gets a little disappointing, as it has a motor of 600 Watts. But, when you look at the price, it more than makes up for it. It is a powerhouse food processor under 5000 INR, and with features like the ones this food processor has, that comes as quite a happy surprise.
The processor comes with a Demo CD, detailing every feature and use of the product. Furthermore, to save on space, the food processor comes with built-in spaces that are designed as cavities, to store cords and the blades. This ensures that the product does not occupy too much space on your shelf or counter, and makes it super compact for everyday use.
- Has a vacuum at the bottom so that the processor does not move while it is being operated
- Extremely inexpensive
- Has a great number of versatile attachments
- It does not have a great build quality
- Has a less powerful motor
9. Prestige All Rounder 600 Watts Food Processor (White)
- Motor of 600 Watt
- Warranty of 5 years on product
- Includes centrifuge and citrus juicer
- Has a great design
- Performs grinding, chopping and juicing
- Includes attachments such as French fry blade
This model is a premium-looking model from Prestige. True to its name, it performs a multitude of functions, like chopping, whipping, juicing, and grating, among others.
It has a 600 Watt motor that gets the job done decently well. To overlook the slight negative in the motor aspect, you get a great many attachments that are versatile enough for you to carry out all the cooking duties. The food processor cannot be used while the mixer is on, and the lid should be tightly secured for the machine to turn on. This ensures safety.
The food processor comes with a warranty of 5 years on the product. With the product, you also get a chutney jar and a dry grinding jar, a French fry blade, juicer, and a citrus juicer, and an atta kneading blade. It has a multi-speed control knob with separate controls for whipping, giving you full control.
The model is aesthetically designed and fits in perfectly in your well-decorated kitchen. Prestige is a well known, reliable brand that brings you great products at affordable rates, so you can trust it to come out with a good food processor!
- Is reasonably priced
- Brand recognition is very good
- Has a great warranty of 5 years
- There have been reports of the build quality not being up to the mark
- The motor is pretty underwhelming when compared to the other models
10. Usha Food Processor (2663) 600-Watt with 3 Jars (White)
- Motor of 600 Watt
- Has fruit filter
- Provides 3 jars
- Has great safety features
- Has 3-speed controls
- Can knead roti dough
Usha is a cherished name in most Indian households. This is a familiar, age-old brand, with products that are widely known and used. When Usha comes out with a food processor, the hype is high!
This food processor, like the products in the Indian market, also offers separate dry grinding and chutney jars. Three jars in all have been provided to the user, and all three have flow breakers, ensuring safety.
The motor is of 600 Watt, which is not very powerful. But the machine gets its job done very well, owing to all the additional features.
The blender jar has a fruit filter, ready to make you a perfect glass of juice, without you having to do any work, whatsoever. The bowls and covers are unbreakable, made of very sturdy material.
The machine has anti-skid feet, to prevent it from moving while it is being operated. This provides paramount safety to the user.
The machine comes with three speeds, and also has a pulse function. This lends you the ability to make a variety of dishes.
This food processor by Usha is also perfect for Indian cooking, as it can knead the dough for rotis and chapatis perfectly. You do not have to worry about cooking dinner for your family now, as it cuts down your cooking time by a lot!
- This is a trusted brand in the Indian food processor market
- This has great features for the price
- It is very helpful for Indian cooking
- There have been reports of bad customer service
- The motor is not as great as other models
11. Maharaja Whiteline Fiesta FP-103 600-Watt Food Processor
- Motor of 600 Watt
- Has a bowl capacity of 2 Litre
- Has three speeds control including a pulse function
- Has great safety features
- Is priced under 5000 INR
- Performs liquidizing, blending and juicing
While at first glance, this might seem like a food processor of inferior quality, there cannot be anything further from the truth! This underrated product has made it into the best products list, solely because of its features.
The product has a huge capacity- a 2 Litre bowl, that is perfectly suitable, to cook for very large families. The product has an emphasis on safety- the processor will start, only when both the jar and the bowl are firmly secured. This ensures that there are no mishaps.
This Indian food processor by Maharaja has three speeds and a pulse function. It also comes with attachments for blending, chopping, atta kneading, slicing, grating, and shredding. Both your salads and pasta can be made with this machine.
This jar is a multipurpose one, performing various functions as juicing, liquidizing, kneading, and blending. And the best part is the price. It is priced in the under 5000 INR segment. How exciting!
- The product is very attractively priced
- Has a giant capacity
- This is a community favourite and is loved by the users
- The brand could have focussed more on the appearance aspect of the processor
- The motor is not that great, and cannot power heavy-duty functions
Best Food Processor Brands in India (2020)
Inalsa is one of the leading names in the food processor industry in India, and that is no simple task, considering the number of brands that exist! Inalsa differentiates its products by giving affordable products in the under INR 5000 segment, but without compromising on any features.
Inalsa offers Indian food processors in a compact size. This will ensure that your kitchen still looks pristine and well decorated, and the processor doesn’t take too much space. All Inalsa food processors are made with shock-proof ABS plastic. For a high duty machine like your food processor, this is perfect, as you will not have maintenance issues owing to damage.
Inalsa’s jars are made of polycarbonate and stainless steel. This ensures that there is no breakage. These jars can be used for both wet grinding and dry grinding, allowing you more flexibility.
Inalsa’s food processors also come with an array of safety features, including an overload protector. This increases the durability of your machine.
Bajaj is a household name in India. It is no surprise that they are also one of the leaders in the food processor Industry in India. Bajaj’s main focus is its motors. They want to offer you only the very best, with motor power from 600 Watts to 1300 Watts. This would ensure that no amount of grinding could ever spoil your motor!
Bajaj also brings to you the ability to multitask. Their food processors are fit for any type of cooking, which means you can make both chutneys and hummus in them!
The exteriors are made up of thick plastic, or thermoplastic and stainless steel to ensure that they do not break.
Bajaj food processors offer you different levels of speed control, and see-through plastic in the vessels, to make sure that you get your food just the way you want it to be.
When it comes to safety, Bajaj has provided great many! There is a neon indicator for power, and a safety interlock in the lids to prevent splashes. They also provide an overload protection tip.
Bajaj’s Indian food processors also come replete with attachments such as chutney jars, French fry blades, so that you can cook the rainbow and eat it too!
Philips is a globally acclaimed brand with majorly positive reviews. When it comes to the Indian food processor market, there is no doubt that Philips scores well here too.
Philips provides you with the best of both worlds. Its food processors are affordable, while still packing a punch with its plenty of exciting features!
Philips food processors have a sleek look to them, which makes your kitchen look sophisticated. These machines have a motor power upwards of 600 Watts that let you do your work well, without worrying about damage to your motor.
Philips processors provide a wide range of attachments. Whether you want to grate carrots for salads or halwa, these food processors have a disc for your every need!
Philips also has great customer support, which makes after-sales service a breeze. The safety features ensure that there is no damage to the processor. For instance, the lock of the lid is firm and is tested not to fault.
These food processors are compact, but also provide a giant capacity for you to cook for your family. All in all, Philips food processors are always a great buy, and worth the investment!
4. Morphy Richards
Morphy Richards has been in the appliance market for 80 years. So when you buy a product of theirs, you get eight decades of experience and trust, and this is what makes them so special.
Morphy Richards gives you a premium finish and features in the Indian market, but at a competitive price. If you are looking to delegate all your kitchen duties, then get yourself a Morphy Richards food processor, and consider it done.
Morphy Richards food processors have all the essentials you could ever dream- a sturdy body made of good quality plastic or stainless steel. Since it has an attractive, urban finish, it makes your kitchen look all the better decorated.
If you are conscious about your energy expenditure, Morphy Richards has just the thing for you. All their food processors come with an energy rating, which enables you to make a choice that is mindful of your electricity bill and the environment.
With separate discs and blades for chopping, grating, blending, cutting, Morphy Richards’s Indian food processors solve all your kitchen woes in style. They are not expensive for the plenty of features they offer, so your choice is sure to be a good one.
How can one forget Usha? A forever favourite of Indian families, Usha is also a pioneer in the food processor market in India.
Usha food processors give not one, but a whopping ten functional attachments! This would be the one-stop solution for all your kitchen needs. Usha food processors are made with either polycarbonate or high-quality stainless steel, which makes them virtually unbreakable.
Mincing, shredding, slicing, juicing.. you name it, these processors can do it all. These processors also have provisions for both wet and dry grinding, so all your masala needs are met with.
These food processors come with a LED display that tells you the power and overload details. This convenience makes sure that you don’t ever face spills or backsplashes.
Usha boasts of a terrific, stylish design, and great customer support. With durability and the requisite after-sales support, Usha food processors are an investment worth making.
Usha food processors have 3-speed settings. This is a brand that understands Indian cooking better than anyone else, so the specifications are perfectly tailored for Indian needs. What more does one want?
Things to Consider when Buying a Food Processor
Blender vs Mixer vs Food Processor
Firstly, you might have heard of three distinct terms – food processor, mixer, and blender, and wondering what is the difference between the three. Often used interchangeably, they can throw off a novice. Let us look at the key differences.
A countertop blender is what is often referred to as “Mixie” in India. It is angled, narrow at the base, and becomes broader as it reached the top. Owing to this, the blades can perform the puree-action much better than a food processor. This makes it the best option for smoothies, as they come out thick.
An Immersion blender, on the other hand, is a more portable, and yet still powerful piece of machinery. It performs excellent blending and works just as well as a countertop blender. Opt for this if you want a less expensive blender, or if you don’t intend to perform a versatile set of actions with it.
A mixer is used for baking purposes. If you are a serious, passionate baker, a stand mixer or a hand- mixer is an absolute essential in your alley. This will help you mix, whip or beat any amount of ingredients, to produce the fluffiest cakes and meringues.
The star of today’s show, a food processor mostly does not puree, but chops and grinds. You can also knead your dough for chapatis with this. But, a food processor can also puree and blend, but the quality of the output is surely not as good as that of a dedicated blender. But if you want to chop some onions for your gravies, or grate some cheese, the food processor is just the one you are looking for.
So, what should you choose?
Well, the answer depends on your necessities. If you are mainly going to be pureeing, go for a countertop blender. But, a food processor can take care of all your chopping, kneading and grinding action, so it would lend itself to a wide variety of possibilities. Since most appliances come with added attachments anyways, you could opt for a food processor to take care of multifarious needs.
Let us delve into some science, shall we?
How does a food processor work?
Before we dive into the technical aspects, let us acquaint ourselves with some history. The food processor was first introduced to the US market, by Carl Sontheimer. Before this, Food processors were developed for French restaurants and bakeries, and it became a huge hit in the country. Carl, seeing the great potential of a food processor, introduced it to the US for commercial production. He had spent a year adapting the industrial blender, to the needs and wants of a home cook.
Now, years later, everyone sings his praises, for food processors have become indispensable. The kitchen appliance market is valued at 21500 Crores INR, out of which, the food processor market occupies a 40-50% share. Suffice to say, the food processor market is growing at a rapid rate and brings in loads of innovations and improvements year on year.
Components of a Food Processor
The basic components of a food processor remain consistent, despite their sizes.
The base of the unit contains in it the motor of the food processor. It is the part of the processor that carries the most weight- and can easily weigh up to 20 KG in the case of bigger, full-size machines. The weight of the motor and the base is important, as this is what prevents the food processor from moving around while it is in use.
Next comes a shaft, that stems from the motor upwards, reaching the attachments. This powers the attachments. The bowl, which is transparent, and is made of plastic/fibre, is attached and secured to this shaft. On top of the bowl goes the lid, which is also made of the same material as the bowl.
Lastly, you have a feed tube, affixed with a plunger. This is attached to the lid. You can insert food into the food processor using this tube, and the plunger can be used to push the food down into the device. Two different tubes are provided to the users in newer models, to enter smaller, and larger food items separately.
Of late, all models come with attractive colours and designs in the base, and overall aesthetic appeal of the device. This makes the food processor fit seamlessly into your home décor. With growing innovations, this also means that food processors in India provide different sizes of bowls to use according to the quantity of the items.
Aside from the essential components, the food processors also have some additional components that are just as important for the functioning-
The most important is perhaps the blades. Blades are provided as attachments, that you can affix to the top of your bowl. Generally, you get an S-shaped blade with your food processor. This is a basic blade, called Sabatier blade, which has two curved blades, fixed to a mound of plastic, and is supposed to be fixed on the shaft in the bowl. This blade is made of metal, which makes it be sharp for a longer period of time, and also serrates better than a plastic blade.
When you buy a food processor, you also get two discs with it. One is used to shred items, and the other, to slice them. They are affixed to the surface of your bowl. When the food enters through the tube, it reaches these discs and is then sliced or shredded.
Based on what you need to do – grate cheese, or cut veggies for your salad, these discs can be fitted accordingly. If you need more actions than the discs you get when you buy allow, you can also purchase some more discs separately.
Additionally, there are also some other attachments that will help you turn your food processor into an all in one machine.
- Dough Blade– Extremely handy, especially in an Indian food processor. Whether you want to knead the dough for rotis or pizzas, this blade can get it done for you. The main difference between this and the S-shaped blade is that this has less-rounder and more straight paddles. You can also home bake delicious bread, quite easily with this.
- Egg whip– To make your food processor do what a mixer can do, this whip attachments come with open paddles, fixed on straight pillars. This attachment whips the food, adding air to it, to make it extremely fluffy. You can use this for meringues and eggs.
- Julienne Disc, French Fry disc- To cut food into long, thin/thick pieces akin to French fries, or for salads, you can use these discs. The former gives you thinner pieces while the French fry disc gives you thicker ones.
- Citrus juicer- To whip up a fresh OJ for your morning breakfast, this attachment with coming in handy. Lemons, limes can be juiced instantaneously with this dome-like attachment, that goes on top of the shaft.
- Regular juicer- This is an attachment that extracts the juice from the food fed into the feed tube, separates the pulp, and gives the juice in the bowl. As fresh juices are a very healthy alternative to processed ones, this juicer makes the process convenient for you.
How to use a food processor?
Let us now look at making the best use of our food processor.
While it might seem simple enough- add ingredients to the bowl, choose the right blade and disc, close the lid, and turn the machine on- there is so much you can do with your Indian food processor, when you learn to use it right.
If you are making a dish with several textures– salsa, for example, you would have to blend some ingredients, and coarsely chop some others. Blending and pureeing makes sure that the flavours of the ingredients are properly extracted, and spread through the dish, for an excellently tasting delicacy.
Coarse cuts add texture, flavour, and volume to your dish. Certain ingredients exude delicious juices when you bite into them, for instance, tomatoes.
And your food processor would let you do all this, without even having to decant the ingredients into other containers. In short, using a food processor can be a one-pot activity, if you learn how to do it.
Sticking to our example of salsa, add the ingredients like garlic that you need to puree first. Use the “run” function if it is available in your model, and blend away, until you reach the desired consistency.
For coarsely chopped foods, like tomatoes and cilantro, add them after the first batch of ingredients is pureed. And this time, don’t blend, but a pulse. A short pulse of 10-15 seconds would do great. This will ensure that the flavours are extracted, but the right consistency is also maintained.
As you can see, your Indian food processor opens up a multitude of avenues for you to creatively express yourself through your cooking.
Advantages Of A Food Processor
One key difference between a food processor and a blender is how it treats its ingredients. A food processor does not create a whirlpool of the food. Since the shaft is in the center of the device, the ingredients are ground more mindfully.
Another great advantage is that owing to its wide, large space, food processors can easily handle a lot of ingredients. Blenders have a design that tapers at the bottom. This is why there is a risk of ingredients overflowing and splashing around. The food processor essentially eliminates this risk.
- Power – Food processors have powerful motors above 600 Watts. This ensures that you can use them for vigorous blending, unlike blenders.
- Size and capacity – There is an enormous amount of variety out there in the Indian market when it comes to food processors. They are sold in 5 to 20 cup sizes, meaning they can fit as many cups.
Similarly, each food processor also has different amounts of power. This can vary from 400 watts to 1200 watts.
So, which food processor should you choose?
If you are not a commercial cook, just a passionate home cook, you don’t need a giant food processor. Something in the range of 7-10 cups will work perfectly well for you.
When it comes to power, the higher the watts, the better. Ideally, a 600 Watt food processor can handle heavy-duty action- like making nut butter. If you can swing it, get a 600 Watt processor, or higher, to be able to perform a wide variety of actions with it.
What can you do with a food processor?
With the various actions an Indian food processor gives you, there are endless possibilities! Here are some ideas for you to kickstart your kitchen creativity.
- Hummus – Food processors can easily grind your chickpeas into hummus.
- Nut butter – The nut butter you buy contains loads of preservatives and added sugars. With a powerful food processor, making nut butter is as simple as adding the nuts with a spoon of honey, and blending them until they become smooth. Enjoy your desserts with homemade goodness!
- Mayonnaise – Store-bought mayo contains unnecessary preservatives, which you can avoid by making mayonnaise with just three ingredients.
- Bread crumbs – Pulse your leftover bread in your food processor, to get bread crumbs.
- Oat Flour – If you are gluten-free, oat flour is a game-changer. And it is as simple as just blending some oats into a fine powder.
- Coleslaw – Never before have salads been this easy to make. Just throw in the cabbage and any other veggie you want to add and get perfectly chopped coleslaw in a matter of few seconds!
- Pasta – Who doesn’t love a hearty pasta? You can now make it yourself, at home, by adding the flour and eggs to your food processor. Your machine will knead it into perfection for you!
- Roti dough – You can also add the flour and water to your food processor, to get well-kneaded roti dough. Cooking has been made so convenient by your food processor!
- Butter – A few decades back, butter used to be made at home, from fresh cream. Now, with lack of time, it has become difficult to go through a cumbersome process to have homemade butter. Not anymore! Just throw in fresh cream into your food processor, and get thick, rich, and fresh butter! This would taste amazing on top of your rotis.
- Ice cream – Yes, you read that right! You can make healthy, tasty ice cream in a few seconds with your food processor. Just add frozen bananas, and your favourite flavour into your processor, and blend until it becomes creamy. Enjoy it with no guilt at all!
- Pureeing Baby Food – If you have a kid, then you would be all too familiar with the frequent routine of pureeing food. Food processors make life much easier for you by helping you puree baby food within seconds.
Guide To Choosing The Best Food Processor in India
If you are mind-boggled by the array of options available to you, fret not! We have given you a simple guide that you can stick to, to ensure that you are making the right choice-
- Features – You need two main features- a blend one, and a pulse one. Any additional feature is a definite bonus, but these two will get your job done!
- Power – Is the motor equipped enough to handle making nut butter? IF yes, then pick it!
- Size – How many people are you going to be cooking for? If you have a family of four, then maybe you can opt for something in a 5-10 cup range. 20 is an industrial size processor fit for a chef’s kitchen. A 3 cup food processor is a “prep” food processor- one that can dice and grind small batches of ingredients for you to make the main dish.
- Attachments – Two disks are absolute essentials- the dicing and the grating discs. But, ideally, you should have blades and discs to knead, cut and chop. Always go for the brand that offers the best value for your money in terms of attachments, as you can find a use for every one of the discs!
- Brand and price offerings – The topmost brands also tend to be on the pricier side, but this is because they come with a moto that powers your machine properly. But if you cannot afford a top of the line processor, there is no need for the same, as value for money is what matters.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Food Processors
1. Can hot ingredients be processed in a food processor?
Generally, it is advised to let things cool down before blending or processing them. This is to avoid accidents, and the vapour generated by the hot ingredients can throw off the lid, causing splashes. Since soups and similar ingredients are supposed to be blended before cooking, it is advised to wait a few minutes, and blend the ingredients once they reach room temperature.
2. Can a food processor be cleaned in a dishwasher?
This is a model-specific feature. Some food processors can be cleaned in a dishwasher, and when they are, the brands mention them on the packaging. But, it is advised to clean a food processor by hand, as that ensures the longevity of the blades and the discs.
3. Is a food processor useful for Indian cooking?
The answer is a resounding yes! Right from chopping onions for your gravies and sambhars, kneading the dough for rotis, food processors make cooking easier for you. Bakers, Home cooks, professionals, everyone can use the help of a food processor.
Food processors use special technology to knead the dough. They don’t cut through it with their blades, but rather, fold them gently. This ensures that the dough is in the perfect consistency for soft chapatis, and a dense, foamy loaf of bread. The food processor also saves your time- so you don’t have to spend as much time cooking, and devote it to other activities.
5. Can a baker make use of a food processor?
Absolutely! Hand mixers or countertop mixers that are specific to bakers, cost quite a lot of money. Instead, you can get a food processor to whip eggs, and mix the batter for you, and you can also put it to use to other functions. Win-win!
6. Can coconut be grated in a food processor?
Yes! There are food processors that allow for even different modes of grating- different for coconut and cheese, for instance. Lots of brands offer customizable, and versatile attachments, which you can use to get your desired size and shape, whether grating or chopping!
7. Can meat be minced in a food processor?
Yes! All food processors allow you to mincemeat. However, before feeding it into the machine, make sure that you let it thaw, and become normal temperature before feeding it into the bowl.
8. Is a food processor safe to use?
Food processors are much safer to use than blenders. Blenders have a design that tapers at the bottom and is wide at the top. This makes it splash food outside. A food processor has a large, round bowl. Owing to its design and capacity, the food does not get thrown out. It is durable and safe for regular use. Some food processors also have a child lock, which prevents kids from misusing it and getting hurt.
9. Does an Indian home need a food processor, or is a regular Mixie enough?
Mixies, while an Indian favourite, allows you to do just wet and dry grinding. But a food processor encompasses so much more. It covers the whole spectrum of kitchen activities. Hence, if you want to save time and get quality work done in your kitchen, go ahead and get yourself a food processor!
From our use of the machines, we have come to appreciate the indispensable nature of food processors. They are the lifesavers of the modern kitchen, and a life without them would involve a lot more cooking time.
And hence, it is extremely important to choose the right brand and model of the food processor- and hence, Inalsa Maxie Premia 800-Watt Food Processor is our top choice out of all the models. Despite the shortcomings regarding the exterior, the motor is fantastic enough to power through any kind of blending.
If cost is not a concern, and the motor is extremely important to you, then our pick is, yet again from Inalsa- Inalsa Food Processor INOX 1000-Watt. This is a very powerful motor, with a large capacity. A capable food processor that has got your every need.
If a less pricey model, with lesser capacity, is enough for you owing to your needs, Philips Daily Collection HR7629/90 is our pick. It is designed exquisitely, making it stylish, but still functional enough for your daily use.