Institute of Microbial Technology
From Indian Science Information
Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh is a CSIR laboratory. Established in 1984, the Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH) is one among the chain of national laboratories functioning under the aegis of Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR) and is its youngest laboratory.
Microbiology, microbial technology and biochemical engineering. Work emphasis is on microbial study. Thrust areas are
- Molecular Biology and Microbial Genetics
- Cell Biology and Immunology
- Protein Science and Engineering
- Fermentation Technology and Applied Microbiology
Current mandate states
- Integrated research, development and design base for microbial technology.
- Basic and applied research and development programmes in established and newly emerging areas of relevant biotechnology including genetic engineering.
- Develop and maintain gene pool resources and genetic stocks of microbial cultures and other cell lines.
- Establish facilities for design of process equipment and bioreactors.
- Dr. Girish Sahni, Director.
Institute of Microbial Technology i.e. IMTECH is situated in Sector 39-A, Chandigarh. The Inter-State Bus Terminus (ISBT) is located in Sector 17 (City Centre) and is at a distance of around 9 Km from IMTECH. Chandigarh Railway Station is about 16 kms from IMTECH.
Back to Science and Research Institutes